Ward Volunteer Job Advert
Here at the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust, we have a diverse group of volunteers carrying out a number of different roles. They provide a wide range of supportive services to the staff, patients and their families across both the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen Hospital sites.
Volunteers undertake a variety of roles that enhance services to patients provided by paid staff and assist the NHS in improving and developing services.
Examples of the services we provide are listed: Ward/Clinic based Volunteers; Welcome Volunteers; Expert Patients; Palliative Care Volunteers; MacMillan Cancer Services; Complimentary Therapies; Fundraisers; Chaplaincy Volunteers. We also have hospital radio broadcasting which provided by LHCH charity Volunteers; Volunteers may also be asked to act in educational films and role play as patients for doctors’ exams. Although we provide these services throughout the Trust, we are currently looking to recruit a further 250 ward based volunteers. This is in preparation of moving into our new build come 2018.
What would the Ward Volunteer role involve?
As a Ward Volunteer, duties will be varied and extensive. Please see a number of duties listed below.
- Meeting and greeting patients and visitors to the Ward.
- Providing emotional support, reassurance and companionship to patients and their families.
- Providing support and appropriate activities for patients with Dementia or Learning Disabilities
- Running errands for patients to purchase newspapers/magazines/snacks as required.
- Assisting patients with eating and drinking (As directed by the Ward Manager/Nurse in Charge)
- Reading to patients, playing games, completing jigsaws and puzzles
- Obtaining patient feedback on their experiences -completing patient experience surveys.
- Collecting and delivering miscellaneous items between departments: x-rays (Radiology Department), patient belongings (Bereavement Office).
- Collecting take home medications from the pharmacy to support patient’s discharge.
- Answering the telephones and taking messages-NOT giving out patient information
- Acting as an “alerter“ to escalate any concerns/issues to the Nursing Team
After you have completed your training and have settled into your role you may be interested in completing further training to be more competent in your volunteering role. Ongoing support and guidance is provided by the Volunteer Team and all volunteers receive assistance with travel expenses within agreed Trust guidelines.
What we would expect from you?
- Applicants must be aged 18 and over.
- You would need to be available to volunteer for a minimum of three hours a week, between 9am -5pm, Monday to Fridays (no evenings, weekends).
- We would ask for a minimum of 6 months commitment to the Service.
- You would need to participate in the training relevant to your Volunteering role.
- You would need to comply with the Trust policy and procedures including confidentiality, infection control, Health & Safety and others as required.
- Applicants need to demonstrate compassion for others and a willingness to make a difference to each and every person they come in contact with.
Interview's will be held on 30th January 2019.
*Unfortunately we cannot offer summer placements or work experience placements in the volunteer department however we do have a work experience coordinator who can give you some advice on how you can apply, please ring: 0151 706 3287 or email: email@example.com
*For the full ward Volunteer Role description please see the document attached as well as the Volunteer Role Boundaries document for clarification. If interested please follow the link to apply online now.
We are the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, because we believe that life is better by water. Every role across the Trust plays it's part...
Employer:Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University NHS Trust Department:Ocular OncologyLocation:Royal Liverpool University Hospital, LiverpoolSalary:£31,217 - £49,086 per ann We’re one of the...
A great opportunity to join our expanding Ward host team on a permanent contract. All staff will be required to work at least every other weekend and be available to work 2 or 5 days a week and be...
As Volunteer Co-ordinator you will promote the positive involvement of volunteers with Childline Helpline including the co-ordination of recruitment, training, development and retention of...
Employer:Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Department:SurgeryLocation:Wirral University Teaching Hospital, WirralSalary:£23,023 - £ 29,608 pa All new colleagues can expect...
Employer:Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University NHS Trust Department:VascularLocation:Royal Liverpool Hospital, LiverpoolSalary:£31,217 - £49,086 per ann We’re one of the largest and busiest...
We are the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and...
Employer:Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University NHS Trust Department:Ocular...
A great opportunity to join our expanding Ward host team on a permanent contract. All staff will...
As Volunteer Co-ordinator you will promote the positive involvement of volunteers with Childline...
Employer:Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust...
Employer:Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University NHS Trust Department:VascularLocation:Royal...