£69,423 per annum
Hamilton , Lanarkshire
Be one of the first ten applicants
Apply on employer's website
South Lanarkshire Council is an ambitious, top performing organisation with a clear vision, shared by both members and officers, to work together to improve the quality of life of everyone in South Lanarkshire.
An exciting and challenging opportunity has arisen for the post of Principal Educational Psychologist in South Lanarkshire Council, pending the retirement of the current post-holder at the end of August 2019.
We are looking for an experienced, inspirational and dynamic leader with a strong commitment to partnership working and who has contributed effectively at a strategic level in Education and Children`s Services.
The Psychological Service is part of Inclusion Services within South Lanarkshire Education Resources and the Service uses applied psychology within an ecological model in their service delivery.
The aims of the Service are to:
• Provide support to parents and carers, teachers and other professionals as they work to meet children and young people’s educational, social and emotional needs
• Provide awareness raising, training and mentoring for the key adults in the lives of children and young people on the promotion of wellbeing and resilience in order to improve life chances
• Promote evidence informed practice in literacy, numeracy and mental health
• Provide advice to South Lanarkshire Education Resources, and other professional colleagues, on how everyone can work together to achieve the best outcomes for every child and young person
• Provide consultation and advice as appropriate to colleges, Skills Development Scotland and other agencies working with young people aged 19-24 years.
South Lanarkshire Council Educational Psychology Service is highly regarded at a local and national level and key strengths of the service include their commitment to a high standard of research and evaluation, as well as very effective distributed leadership. These strengths have led to the development of a wide range of innovative resources for use by the Education and the Children`s Services workforce.
The service has a strong leadership role in promoting best practice in the health and wellbeing of children, young people and staff and have led on the development of an Education Resources Attachment Strategy.
The successful applicant will lead a committed and innovative team of educational psychologists and work closely with the Head of Education (Inclusion), members of the Education Management Team, managers within the Inclusion Service and the Children`s Services Strategy Group in driving forward key strategic Corporate and Service priorities including narrowing the poverty related attainment gap, promoting mental health and well-being, excellence in practice , equity and inclusion.
Applications are welcomed from suitably qualified educational psychologists with an excellent track record and successful experience of senior management and leadership in an educational context.
For further information or informal discussion, please contact Elizabeth King, Principal Educational Psychologist (tel, email: )
You will be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council
You must have the ability to inspire others, be adaptable and work well in a challenging and demanding environment with a wide range of stakeholders. You should be solution focused and optimistic, with excellent leadership, effective interpersonal, communication, consultation and organisational skills.
You will have high standards and be a top performing individual who is flexible, motivated and able to respond to both challenges and opportunities as they are presented. You will have the ability to think and act strategically, create and maintain partnerships and engage fully with employees and service users.Responsibilities
Suitable candidates for this exciting opportunity will:
- ensure accountability, proficiency and ethical practice in line with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) standards, British Psychological Society (BPS) guidance and in the context of the South Lanarkshire Council Psychological Services delivery model.
- monitor and develop Education Resources policies, practices and procedures as appropriate
- demonstrate experience and understanding of the national and local priorities for education and drivers of change
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the legislative context for delivery of the educational psychology service to ensure the service fulfils its statutory functions.
- provide expert advice to the Director of Education, Heads of Service and relevant officers on educational psychology related issues
- work in partnership with other services within Education Resources and the Council in developing and implementing relevant policies and objectives
- lead and develop a team of Depute Principal Psychologists, Senior Educational Psychologists, Educational Psychologists, Trainee Educational Psychologists and Research Assistants to deliver the Educational Psychology Service under the five core functions of:
- at the individual child/family, school/establishment, local authority and national levels.
- ensure that all resources allocated to the Educational Psychology Service are used efficiently and effectively and manage the overall budget for the service.
- respond to enquiries from elected members, parents and others and contribute to the support of the Education Resources Committee and other appropriate bodies of the Council.
The successful applicant will hold a Honours or Postgraduate degree in Psychology, conferring Graduate Basis for Registration with the British Psychological Service, and a post-graduate degree in Educational Psychology.
Registration with the Health and Care Professions Council is required.The Individual
The successful candidate should have the ability to travel throughout South Lanarkshire.
Employment History/Foreign Police Check
Candidates should be able to detail any gaps in employment and provide a foreign police check where applicable for any periods living or working abroad.
Regulated Work with Children
This post is considered Regulated Work with Children, under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act, 2007. Therefore, it is an offence to apply if you are barred from working with children.
Preferred candidates will be required to join the PVG Scheme, or undergo a PVG Scheme Update check, prior to a formal offer of employment being made by South Lanarkshire Council.Please refer to
Apply on employer's website
Shortlisted Shortlist Share job
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs .Report this job
Get Job Alerts
Apply on employer's website
Shortlisted Shortlist Share job
View all jobs
Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care & Children & Young People (RQF) Distance learning, self-paced £1,636.36 Level 5 Diploma in Leadership Health & Social Care and Children & Young People’s Services Online, self-paced £1,499 TQUK LEVEL 5 DIPLOMA IN LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE Online, self-paced £1,250 View Social care courses
Job Advert Applications are invited from suitably qualified educational psychologists for posts within the Psychological Service. Applicants require Graduate basis for registration with the British...
Applications are invited from suitably qualified educational psychologists for posts within the Psychological Service. Applicants require Graduate basis for registration with the British...
South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture Ltd Location: Various locations throughout South Lanarkshire Post 1: 35 hrs per week Duration: Fixed Term until 31 March 2023 Post 2: 28 hours per...
Location: Kilsyth Community Health Centre G65 4JE Grade: Band 8A Category: Other Therapeutic Salary: Band 8A (£45,446 -...
Clinical / Counselling Psychologist (Forensic Mental Health Service), NHS Scotland Recruitment, 5 daysLocation: NHS Lanarkshire Wide Grade: Band 8A Category: Other Therapeutic Salary: Band 8A (£45,446 - £51,883) Contract: Permanent Duration: Permanent Region: Lanarkshire Hours: 37.5 Job...
Location: NHS Lanarkshire Wide Grade: Band 6 Category: Nursing & Midwifery Salary: Band 6 (£30,401 - £38,046) Contract: Permanent Duration: Permanent Region: Lanarkshire Hours: 37.5 Job...
Job Advert Applications are invited from suitably qualified educational psychologists for posts...
Applications are invited from suitably qualified educational psychologists for posts within the...
South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture Ltd Location: Various locations throughout South...
Location: Kilsyth Community Health Centre G65 4JE Grade: Band 8A Category: Other...
Clinical / Counselling Psychologist (Forensic Mental Health Service), NHS Scotland Recruitment, 5 daysLocation: NHS Lanarkshire Wide Grade: Band 8A Category: Other Therapeutic Salary: Band 8A...
Location: NHS Lanarkshire Wide Grade: Band 6 Category: Nursing & Midwifery Salary: Band 6...