Refugee Support Project Volunteer - FRIS
About the role
As a Refugee Project Volunteer you would be helping asylum-seekers and refugees adjust to life in a new country offering valuable support and advice to ease the process for service users, and to support a team of caseworkers
About the Team
We use kindness to help those in crisis.
Every year thousands of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants arrive in the UK with little support, money, or opportunities. Sometimes these people don't even have the means to find and contact their loved ones back home. It's our job to do what we can to help.
We're a diverse, busy team dotted all over the country who share the common goal of doing what we can to make refugee lives that little bit brighter. From providing emotional support to reuniting families, we're committed to helping as many people as we can in as many ways as we can. Seeing the look on someone's face when they are put back in contact with a partner, parent, or child, that they thought they'd never see again is simply priceless.
The Family Reunion Integration Service aims to work with 900 reunited refugee families (3,000 people), helping them to integrate into their new communities. Around one in three refugees come into the UK via family reunion. Unlike those who arrive through the asylum process or resettlement programme, people who come into the UK on a Family Reunion visa are not offered any formal support to access services and are left on their own to navigate our complex health, education, housing and welfare services. This can be a huge challenge when they are already facing issues that come from long periods of family separation and the trauma of conflict. Through our work with reunited families we recognise that dedicated support is required to help this particular group of refugees.About the person
You need to have good interpersonal, diplomacy, communication and teamwork skills although full training will be given for any technical requirements. Also someone who is:
- A good communicator and empathetic about the situation and needs of refugees
- Knowledgeable about conflict and migration issues and sensitive to cultural issues, including those relating to gender
- Able to use emotional support skills in a calm and responsible manner
- Personally resilient as you may need to deal with difficult or challenging situations
- Able to keep the service user at the heart of what you do, supporting the Red Cross to understand service user needs and the difference our role makes.
- Able to speak good English; plus knowledge of a foreign language would be useful (particularly one used in the current local refugee population)
- Willing to uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhere to the Society's Equal Opportunities Policy
- Able to commit time and assist us (predominantly) between 9 -5, Monday to Friday.
- Understanding of GDPR regulations or willingness to learn.
Tasks included in this Role:
- Showing Signposting refugees and asylum seekers on where to find local amenities and how to access services such as healthcare, English classes, purposeful activities to reduce isolation and enhance wellbeing, & access to legal support,
- Initial needs assessments of service user critical needs and setting of goals.
- Assisting the project coordinator with setting up activities and helping support service users on organised trips
- Delivering practical assistance, such as food vouchers or clothing, alongside the monitoring of this.
- Collating resources or providing other administrative tasks such as booking appointments or filling in referral forms.
- Identify and respond appropriately to safeguarding and protection issues with vulnerable clients, including children and vulnerable adults
What We Offer
- Access to a blended learning approach via relevant in-house training and development opportunities, including British Red Cross intranet site, e-learning facility and 'Fuse' (our online platform where you can access a range of engaging bite sized pieces of learning to support your personal development.
- A full induction, support and supervision throughout your volunteering period
- Valuable exposure to the work of the Red Cross in the UK and around the world
- Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses when on duty
- Being a volunteer for the British Red Cross means that you can proudly say you are part of the world's largest humanitarian organisation.
We value the energy and enthusiasm that young people bring to this role. To volunteer for this role you must be aged 16+. However (subject to a risk assessment, safeguarding requirements and parental consent) those aged 15+ can be involved in a variety of activities such as promoting the service, supporting service volunteers and undertaking training.
Here's a little bit more about us...
The British Red Cross help anyone, anywhere in the UK; get the support they need if crisis strikes.
From hiring a wheelchair or dealing with loneliness, to adjusting to life in a new country - we're there when you need us. Our goal is to connect human kindness with human crisis.
We're part of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and we believe in the power of kindness.
Our organisation was born out of a desire to bring help without discrimination. Impartiality and neutrality have been central values for the Red Cross since we started.
We support a huge range of people and we recruit for a diverse workforce - including disabled and ethnic minority candidates. This is to contribute to the breadth of experience we need to respond to people in crisis.
Connecting Human Kindness with Human Crisis
DevOps Engineer (GCP) Operate is seeking talented DevOps Engineers to join our rapidly growing Technology team based in Belfast. Operate Technology is dedicated to researching, developing,...
PwC is the world’s premier professional services firm with 3,500 professionals in over 90 countries around the world. In the UK, our legal practice is fully integrated into the PwC partnership...
About the Role About the role; As a Healthcare Assistant for Maria Mallaband Care Group we ask for you to care for our residents like they are your own family, caring for their Physical,...
Our customers include leading enterprises, government organizations, SMBs and service providers who rely on Imperva to securely deliver their websites and applications at lightning speed. Imperva...
PMO ANALYST About the role We’re looking for experienced project professionals who will help us deliver best in class projects across our business and to our clients. We are particularly keen to...
About PwC’s Operate PwC’s Operate delivers operational and managed services solutions to clients across a range of situations often associated with their regulatory, risk and/or compliance...
DevOps Engineer (GCP) Operate is seeking talented DevOps Engineers to join our rapidly growing...
PwC is the world’s premier professional services firm with 3,500 professionals in over 90...
About the Role About the role; As a Healthcare Assistant for Maria Mallaband Care Group we ask...
Our customers include leading enterprises, government organizations, SMBs and service providers...
PMO ANALYST About the role We’re looking for experienced project professionals who will help us...
About PwC’s Operate PwC’s Operate delivers operational and managed services solutions to clients...