£25,000 - £28,000 per annum
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Be one of the first ten applicants
Graduate Arty Scientist
Location: Media Analytics Ltd, Suite C, Kingsmead House, Oxpens Road, Oxford OX1 1XX, UK
Salary: £25,000-£28,000 according to experience, with a 6-month probationary period
Contract: Full time
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
About the position:
Global Water Intelligence is looking for a brilliant graduate who is both creative and numerate, and who is ready to begin a career in a fast-growing new field. It is a field created by the fact that people need to understand ever more complex ideas but have less and less time for reading. It means that more and more of the information we consume is in a visual form. Those few people who are bright enough to be able to assimilate data, understand the stories it tells, and express that intelligence so that others can understand it at a single glance will be the rulers of this new world.
It is not a job that really exists today, and we are looking for a special kind of person. Someone who is interested in design, but who is also inspired by the intellectual challenge of understanding the complex ideas that grow out of the data and refining that into a clear visual message. You might have studied art for A Level, have a hobby interest in graphic design or drawing but then studied for a science degree. Alternatively, you might have done well at maths A level, but gone on to study design or another arts degree. Either way, you will need to be able to show that you are bright and that you are excited by the possibilities of visual communication.
For the right candidate we can offer the first step in a career which is guaranteed to be highly in demand, with opportunities opening out across the media as the world becomes more time poor and information rich.
You will work closely alongside our development team, content team and marketing team, and your responsibilities will include:
- Creating designs and layouts for in-house digital and print projects.
- Website design, with a focus on front-end design, interactivity and usability.
- Visualising data to create engaging information graphics.
- Actively working to improve the user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) of our products.
- Thinking creatively to solve design challenges and improve production processes.
- Maintaining a strong brand identity across our products.
- General daily tasks such as typesetting and working with technical content, illustrations, picture research, and effective file management.
The following qualities would be desirable in a successful candidate:
- A problem-solving attitude, with a willingness to tackle different challenges and learn on the job.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a keen attention to detail.
- Time management skills and the ability to balance multiple ongoing projects.
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experience with, or an interest in developing skills in UX and UI.
- Experience with, or an interest in developing skills in interactive data visualisation creation using tools such as QGIS, Highcharts, Plotly, ggplot2 or D3.
- Experience with web technologies (HTML, CSS, JS and SVG) would be advantageous.
- Experience automating InDesign and Illustrator through the use of ExtendScript and XML would be advantageous.
Global Water Intelligence is an ambitious company with around 60 employees spread between Oxford, Austin (Texas) and Shanghai. It publishes market-leading magazines, databases, and reports on the international water industry. Additionally, it runs a series of successful events. It has a unique corporate culture which can be summed up as follows:
- We are global: our market is totally international, and we need to reflect that. We travel a lot and around 40% of our staff don’t come from the UK.
- We work for each other: we do work hard, but not out of fear or greed. It is because we care for each other and it lightens the load of everyone if we all pull together.
- We balance the commercial with the idealistic: We are passionately committed to addressing the world’s water challenges, but we can only do what we do because we are a profitable business.
GWI employees are enrolled on a company pension plan and receive a holiday allowance of 25 days per year. The successful candidate will be encouraged to attend relevant training courses and conferences that help them to develop within their role, and there is also opportunity for travel - our Global Water Summit is held in different cities across the world each year.
How to apply:
Please click on "APPLY" today, sending a well-designed CV and a covering letter for consideration.
The way you present your CV will give us an idea of how imaginatively you can express yourself in visual terms. The covering letter should explain why you think you would be good at the job and include links to relevant work if possible. The closing date for applications is 27th September 2019.
No agencies please.
Have you attached a covering letter to your application (this is a requirement)?
Are you eligible to live and work in the UK with fluent English language skills?
Please answer all of the application questions.
Shortlisted Shortlist Share job
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs .Report this job
Get Job Alerts
Apply now Shortlisted Shortlist Share job
View all jobs
Our values and commitment to safeguarding Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and...
We are looking for enthusiastic and energetic candidates to work towards their Leisure Operations and Leisure Management Level 2 and be part of a friendly team to provide a fun, safe and quality...
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Do you have knowledge and understanding of managing volunteers? Do you have experience of working on a...
Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust is looking for an outstanding individual to fill the post of Associate Medical Director within the Community Services Directorate. The post holder will work...
WHO WE ARE: We are a small business based in Oxford in the United Kingdom. We started as two friends with a shared desire to use vinyl in new and exciting ways. All of our products are designed in...
GP with Special Interest in Gynaecology, Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;, 6 daysThe purpose of these posts is to support the delivery of excellent clinical care in the gynaecology clinics at the Oxford University Hospitals. We provide a variety of secondary and tertiary care...
Our values and commitment to safeguarding Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted...
We are looking for enthusiastic and energetic candidates to work towards their Leisure...
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Do you...
Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust is looking for an outstanding individual to fill the post of...
WHO WE ARE: We are a small business based in Oxford in the United Kingdom. We started as two...
GP with Special Interest in Gynaecology, Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;, 6 daysThe purpose of these posts is to support the delivery of excellent clinical care in the...