Looking for an opportunity to advance your career and achieve gains for biodiversity in a friendly and thriving multi-disciplinary team?
WYG are now part of Tetra Tech, a leading global provider of consulting, engineering, programme management, construction management and technical services. The acquisition in summer 2019 has reinvigorated our company, bringing new investment in our staff and an expansion of our offering to clients. This means we can achieve more, through a wider alliance of services and expertise and are now better placed than ever to lead and contribute to significant projects in Northern Ireland & Eire.
We are seeking an Ecologist to join our Belfast team. This is an opportunity for you to use and expand your full skill set to realise your ambitions in a multi-disciplinary practice.
Our Belfast office have had another successful year and are friendly, skilled and ready to grow the team. We are large enough to work on high-profile schemes, such as the pioneering Strule Shared Education Campus project and the Giant’s Causeway Visitor Centre. We also inform true biodiversity-led schemes; such as significant Phase 2 surveys at Castlewellan Forest Park to inform a new Conservation and Management Plan.
Our diverse project portfolio extends to delivering several smaller schemes; including, Trooperslane Park and Ride, the artisan village and camping being designed at Ballycanal Manor and the forest footpath network improvements at Kilbroney Trails.
We offer the right candidate a competitive salary, contributory pension, company car/car allowance, health cover and a range of flexible benefits; including yet not limited to, discounted childcare and retail vouchers, dental insurance, increased medical cover, travel insurance and variable holiday. We promote flexible working and are open to discussing the possibility of reduced hours, remote working, flexible start and finish times, compressed hours or a potential job share.
WYG is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
The National Ecology Team
We have doubled in size over the last six years and continue to go from strength to strength. Our Senior team progressed through the ranks and are now working at Director level. This demonstrates both the opportunities we offer for career progression and that they are the ideal leaders for WYG’s ecology team. Our national team have technical backgrounds in Ecology and EIA, including strong fieldwork skills, coupled with a clear understanding of market and client requirements and an ability to communicate across a diverse range of groups.
As experienced ecologists, we understand how ecologists think and work and have introduced ecology-specific methods to allow the team to fulfil their potential:
- With over 60 permanent ecologists across 12 offices, we work hard to operate as one cohesive team to minimise your time away from home, maximise bespoke training and support from in-house experts (regardless of location) and to allow the best people to work on the projects that interest them and deliver them to the highest standards.
- We encourage the development of well-rounded ecologists who can talk about all stages of a project rather than just a niche area. We don’t pigeon-hole ecologists who have specific skills and instead encourage diversification of skills and the passing on of knowledge to fellow ecologists. We recently held our annual all-ecology get together where our experts provided training on biodiversity net gain, changes to Ecological Impact Assessment, our expanding use of emerging technologies and advances in fields including beaver reintroductions, botany and herpetofauna, to name but a few.
- As all grades of ecologist complete site visits, we provide a company car or car allowance to every member of the team.
- Our bat handling licence incentivisation scheme thanks those ecologists who spend time and effort in achieving their licence – we know it’s not easy!
- To show our support of personal development, we award a financial reward to anyone achieving Chartered Ecologist [n1] or Chartered Environmentalist status through CIEEM.
- We work closely with our Planners, as well as many other teams including Project Managers, Geo-environmental, Landscape Architects, Masterplanners and Engineers to name a few. This enables you to learn from our collective expertise and we are implementing lunch & learn sessions from our colleagues, to help everyone understand each part of our business. With a culture of openness, there is always someone who can provide advice and support for almost any query.
- We also have an established Time Off In Lieu (TOIL) system which helps ecologists to manage their workload alongside their own personal needs, which is particularly important during the seasonal survey peaks associated with this role.
We are keen to continue to grow so enthusiasm to support our business development strategy and meet with clients is essential. Ecologists who have protected species survey/mitigation experience, in particular with bats and ornithology, are encouraged to apply. Complimentary skills include Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA), Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) and some experience of Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW).
If the timing’s not quite right for you, please do still to get in touch for an informal chat as we will always consider deferring start dates to attract good people.
Likewise, we would welcome applicants from people based in the rest of the UK and we can support & help fund a phased relocation/return to Northern Ireland.
Back to Search results Location Belfast BT9 Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days Friday to Thursday Working Times Between 07:00am and 09:00am Shift Pattern Days & Nights Working Hours...
Back to Search results Location Heathrow Airport - Feltham Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days Monday - Sunday Working Times Between 06:15 and 3:13 at present (expected change to...
Back to Search results Location Belfast BT15 Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days Monday to Friday Working Times Between 07:30am and 4:00pm Shift Pattern Days Working Hours per Week 40...
Back to Search results Location Belfast Beersbridge Road, BT5 Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days Monday, Wednesday and Friday Working Times Between 10.00am and 12.00pm Shift...
Back to Search results Location Belfast BT5 Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days Monday - Friday Working Times Between 07:00am and 5:00pm Shift Pattern Day of week and shift time...
Back to Search results Location Belfast City Centre BT1 Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days Monday - Friday Working Times Between 06:00am and 09:00am Shift Pattern Shift time is...
Back to Search results Location Belfast BT9 Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days...
Back to Search results Location Heathrow Airport - Feltham Contract Type Permanent -...
Back to Search results Location Belfast BT15 Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days...
Back to Search results Location Belfast Beersbridge Road, BT5 Contract Type Permanent -...
Back to Search results Location Belfast BT5 Contract Type Permanent - Employee Working Days...
Back to Search results Location Belfast City Centre BT1 Contract Type Permanent -...