The Better Cotton Initiative (BCI) is an international organisation whose mission is to make global cotton production better for the people who produce it, better for the environment it grows in and better for the sector’s future. The Communications Team is responsible for developing and overseeing implementation of the BCI Communications Strategy. The team’s work includes defining and formulating key messages and proof points to broaden the understanding of BCI’s approach amongst stakeholders across the cotton supply chain including governments, civil society, fashion brands and the media.
The Communications Officer will support the Communications Team in planning, developing and implementing strategic communications priorities for BCI, aimed to improve perception and awareness of Better Cotton and BCI. S/he will provide support to internal and external stakeholders to ensure that BCI communications enable and accelerate the system-level change envisaged in the BCI strategic goals.
Increasing and improving the BCI profile
- Conducting proactive media outreach.
- Developing and maintaining an internal press contacts database.
- Maintaining internal media tracking database.
- Producing media analysis, insight and recommendations for targeted outreach.
- Writing content for BCI newsfeed and social media.
- Maintaining and updating information on BCI's website.
- Assisting in the preparation of organisational reports including the Annual Report and Harvest Reports.
- Creating visually compelling materials for target audiences.
- Creating content for diverse communications channels with input from internal teams.
Internal staff support
- Communications support for BCI member-led and industry events. This may include coordinating press coverage and coordinating print materials.
- Developing and delivering media support and guidance for BCI staff worldwide, enabling them to appropriately respond to media requests.
- Preparing materials such as presentations, hand-outs and brochures.
- Coordinating and preparing internal staff communications.
- Updating marketing communications collateral with the latest information and figures.
- Supporting BCI Retailer and Brand members on external-facing communications. This may include: coordinating joint press outreach, securing sign-off for quotes, editing content and educating members on BCI’s Claims Framework.
- Formatting and releasing direct marketing to members.
To be successful, candidates for the Communications Officer will have the following attributes:
Skills & knowledge
- Ability to liaise effectively with media
- Experience crafting key messages and targeted communications that drive organisational objectives
- Excellent communication skills in English: orally and in writing
- Ability to write content for BCI’s target audiences as well as copyedit
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively, working in a structured manner and to deadlines
- Creative and equipped to create stories about BCI’s farm-level work
- IT literacy including Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress
- Coordination of cross-functional communications projects
- Critical thinker able to thrive in fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively whilst moving projects forward individually when required
- Demonstrated grasp of sustainability issues within the cotton sector
- Graphic design capabilities
- University degree, or equivalent higher education qualification
The position is full-time (40 hours per week) and will be based in the BCI Office in London.
Interested applicants with the required attributes are asked to send a detailed CV with a motivational letter (1 page maximum) in English by email to: email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Officer”.
Only candidates eligible to work in the UK or holders of a valid work permit will be considered.
BCI is an equal opportunities employer, and is committed to good practice and transparency in the management of natural, human and financial resources.
Please mention environmentjob.co.uk when responding to this ad.
Staff Nurse Cardiac - Experienced Nurses Are you driven, enthusiastic and looking for a career working with cardiovascular patients? Could you lead a team of highly motivated nurses, working...
We are looking for an experienced Supervisor to work within our Housekeeping team here at Manchester Arndale. The ideal candidate must be flexible to the need of the business, have a can do...
ABOUT US Yoppie short for “Your Happy Period” is a newly launched tampon brand that discloses all of our ingredients. We only use 100 % organic cotton in our tampons – free from harmful toxins and...
Job Reference: 213-848175-C Employer: King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Department: Executive Nursing Location: Denmark Hill, London Salary: £26,554 to £34,495 per...
Title Salary/Rate £25,000/annum Location Feltham Posted 19/05/2017 (09:34) Just Added Agency GSA Recruitment Apply Now Description Job Title Process Setter Operator Department Pressel...
Operational Resilience Manager In this key role you’ll be responsible for implementing the bank-wide Operational Resilience Strategy in a 1st Line of Defence capacity to ensure that Operational...
Staff Nurse Cardiac - Experienced Nurses Are you driven, enthusiastic and looking for a career...
We are looking for an experienced Supervisor to work within our Housekeeping team here at...
ABOUT US Yoppie short for “Your Happy Period” is a newly launched tampon brand that discloses...
Job Reference: 213-848175-C Employer: King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust ...
Title Salary/Rate £25,000/annum Location Feltham Posted 19/05/2017 (09:34) Just Added Agency GSA...
Operational Resilience Manager In this key role you’ll be responsible for implementing the...